Mu’azzi, al-Uktu’ikhus al-kabír yatadammana jami’ ma yakhtassu bihi ma’ al-mulhaqat al-mu’tadah.
Sarruf, Gurgi. (Editor).
Book ID: 34734
£7,000.00ADD TO BASKET
Palestine held an important religious place in the world, which enabled the country to have a significant role in the world culture of the time, although it is not considered the seat of printing. Arabic printing presses were found in the Old City of Jerusalem, in Haifa, and in Jaffa. However, there is no evidence to corroborate these lists in other sources. This minimal information however plays an important role in confirming that the early printing presses made it possible for the establishment and rise of printing and publishing in Palestine. The establishment of these printers and their ability to flourish was accompanied by the growth of the missionary movement in Palestine and other areas of greater northern Syria and the involvement of various European churches in the missionary activity of the different Christian denominations.
Towards the end of 1849 the Orthodox Patriarch Kerilous II recommended that the “Society of the Holy Sepulchre” establish a printing press for the Church on the grounds of the Orthodox Patriarchate in Jerusalem. The Beirut newspaper Al-Mashriq noted in 1903 (Issue 2, No. 5) in an article titled “The History of Publishing in the East” that the orthodox printing press survived well into the 20th century and published a number of instructional and church books in both Arabic and Greek. The press published approximately 36 books in Arabic and 29 books in Greek from its establishment to 1883
alone. See: Mohammed Basil Suleiman. Jerusalem Quarterly.
Copac lists only one copy at the British Museum.