Tarikh al-Kanisah al-Masihiyyah al-Qadimah wa-al-Hadithah.

Von Mosheim, Johann Lorenz 1693-1755/ Jacob Murdoch (Translator).

Book ID: 25227


8vo. 853 pp., Arabic text, contemporary full calf, rubbed, title gilt on raised spine, translated from Latin by Jacob Murdoch, edited by Father Henry Hurse Jessup, small cut to lower corner of page 849 without any loss to text, otherwise copy in very good condition, printed by the American University of Beirut, 1875.


Johann Lorenz von Mosheim or Johann Lorenz Mosheim (1693 – 1755) was a German Lutheran church historian. After studying at the high school in Lübeck, he entered the University of Kiel (1716), where he took his master’s degree in 1718. In 1719 he became assessor in the philosophical faculty at Kiel. His works, along with the reputation he had acquired as a lecturer and preacher, secured for him a place at University of Helmstedt as professor ordinarius in 1723. The “Institutionum historiae ecclesiasticae libri IV” appeared in 1726.
Mosheim was much consulted by the authorities when the new University of Göttingen was being formed, especially in the framing of the statutes of the theological faculty, and the provisions for making the theologians independent of the ecclesiastical courts. In 1747 he was made the chancellor of the University. In 1748 he was responsible for the visit made by George II of Great Britain to his university.
Mosheim wrote “An Ecclesiastical History, From The Birth of Christ to the Beginning of the Eighteenth Century”, in which the rise, progress and variation of Church power are considered in their connection with the state of learning and philosophy, and the political history of Europe during that period. It is a two-volume set, translated from Latin by Archibald Maclaine, and was published in London in 1842 by William Tyler.
This work was translated from Latin by the American scholar Jacob Murdoch.
Provenance: Colonel Samuel B. Miles (1838-1914), diplomat in Oman and Persia, author of “The Countries and Tribes of the Persian Gulf”, 1919; gifted by his widow to Bath Public Library, 1920.

© 2024 Folios limited. All rights reserved.